Pages

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Closed MINDS Don’t Get Fed!








It baffles me the amount of people that do not eat sushi. I am completely stunned. In all the advancements of modern medicine, people would rather eat five-day-old pizza than to eat a piece of raw fresh fish. And please do not get me started on a steak well done. I cringe every time I see a perfectly fine Filet almost burned to a crisp because someone is afraid of getting mad cow disease. 






According to Yahoo.com “of the 48 million cases of food poisoning reported in the U.S. each year, raw fish is hardly the lone offender. Cantaloupe, Spinach and cooked ground meat have all been on FDA’s most wanted list." Now, I most certainly am not an active member of the FDA but I am pretty sure the amount of deaths attributed to eating a piece of salmon Nigiri or a steak cooked medium has to be next to none. As a matter of fact… High blood pressure, Diabetes and high cholesterol are major contributors to failing health in many communities none of which come from eating sushi. I am in no way saying that eating sushi is the best thing on earth to eat, I am simply pointing out an observation made.

In most cases, it is the fear of trying something different that prevents some from hoping into the nearest sushi bar and ordering the biggest sushi sampler on the menu.This is exactly the kind of limited thinking that leads to a barrier in communication and perpetual stereotypes. One assumes that because they see or hear something that is completely outside of what was once learned in their environment, it automatically has to be wrong.




For me, growing up in a small town it’s very common to hear of people having a fear of flying. For some of my bigger city friends it’s absurd to hear of a person not wanting to fly across the country out of fear that their airbus may go down in flames. I completely understand having a fear and letting the fear cripple you into a life less experienced. And I most certainly empathize with those who need to seek counsel to get over those fears however, for those who simply don’t know and won’t try; I believe you are limiting yourself! Variety IS the spice of life and to live a life in your bubble is to have the same experiences over and over again. I have had the honor of meeting many people from all walks of life and in doing so I have grown and continue to take risks… some work out, some don’t. That is the beauty of life.  Challenging your-self to get to that next level of awareness. Allowing your-self the opportunity to understand another culture or way of life. You may find traditions or practices you may want to implement in your own life.




I decided a few years ago to continuously challenge myself. I have a list of fears I try to conquer daily and when me and M.A. find ourselves getting too complacent in “not knowing”, we make a point to “find out”. I challenge all of my readers to find out! Try something you would normally never do. Even if it starts with one lonely piece of fish.




No comments:

Post a Comment