Pages

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Big City life, Truths and Myth








When I was planning my move to Los Angeles I had a laundry list of ideas on how “Big City” life would be. For some odd reason I imagined that I would be robbed or car jacked within the first year and all haters would be left in the small city that I was leaving. Moving to a big city for me was one of the most challenging and rewarding times of my life but not for the reasons I thought. I get a lot of questions from people wanting to move to a big city so I decided to give you guys a list of things I found to be true and false. I hope that some of my Truths and Myths help you guys finalize the purchase of that one-way ticket!



Myth: Big cities don’t have haters, everybody is trying to succeed and do their own thing.

 The truth is bigger cities just have more options… The same problems that exist in smaller cities exist in larger cities. You may not notice haters or people that you generally don’t get along with because the city is so spread out. Unlike in smaller cities where you run the risk of running into people you don’t like. In larger cities you kinda find a sense of family with the people you actually do enjoy. So over all… you will still have haters, you can just dodge them very easily.




Myth: People in bigger cities are “go getters”; they are very ambitious people and have an open mind to new possibilities.

This, for me was very true! I often find that a lot of my friends that are wanting to move from a smaller town to a bigger city say that the people in their current city just aren’t ambitious enough. For some reason they have a hard time finding people to “think outside of the box and open their minds to change”. I can not lie... I had enough of this kind of thinking myself. When you are constantly surrounded by people that know your past or may all march to the same beat, you may tend to feel like an out cast if you want to try something new. I honestly believe diversity is celebrated in large cities simply because people from all over the world live there. I have learned and grown so much from living in Los Angels and Las Vegas. I now realize ignorance is not bliss.




Myth: You will be robbed.

No you will not… Ok well you might… don’t get me wrong, higher crime rates do come along with a bigger city. It’s just a way of life. A safer alliterative would be to move into a nice neighborhood with less crime. Yes big cities do have nice neighborhoods.


Myth: People in bigger cities are rude or stuck up, they are very pretentious and self-centered.

This one is true and false… I have found an abundance of pretentious people in Los Angeles and surrounding areas. I have noticed that some people can be quite self-centered. But if I can be honest, I have a love hate relationship with these people. I find a certain comfort in being around people that think very highly of themselves… For me, there is nothing better than being around people working on something they’re proud of. I love the energy. They love to hear about my projects and I love to hear about theirs. We don’t have to worry about sounding braggadocios or showing off because everybody has something going on. It’s a beautiful thing! The down side to that would be the elite attitudes. I’m not very fond of a person feeling like they are better than the next person period. I find those people classless. Over all, I don’t know very many people that think they're hot stuff JUST because they live in a big city. However, I do know people that take pride in where they live. There is a difference.
  



Myth: Living in a big city is expensive.

 ALL of that shit is true believe it! Research is key. Be sure to explore options and remember. You have to actually live in the city before you find what communities work best for you.



Well that’s all I have for right now but If you have any questions about your upcoming move to a bigger city just let my know. I may have to make a part II.

4 comments:

  1. It's not as bad as you think. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was my biggest fear. . Until it happened (armed robbery) , but you get a fun and keep it moving. . I love Atlanta! I miss home but this just feels like me! Great post! I will be in LA in March I need to know the hot spots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Keosha! I'm so sorry that happened to you doll. I can only Image how scary that was. Thank God you are safe. Living in areas with high crime can be super stressful. I was so glad to see that you moved away. It looks as though you have really found a home away from home. I would love to let you know where to go in LA. I'm there at least once a month now that I'm in Vegas until june. Hopefully if I'm around we can meet up.

      Delete
  3. Sorry for the late reply, not used to the blog life(no notifications), but yes blessed to have overcome that experience and thankful to have two homes. I will be in LA 3/14-17, so if your there or know of anything happenings let me know! I love your blogs, Oh and I need contouring tips! !

    ReplyDelete