Pages

Monday, September 30, 2013

Fake It Till You Make It?




“What I see is trying to make sure that everybody thinks you have more than what you actually have. What’s the point if you actually don’t have it? If you don’t have it, then you don’t have it. Have what you have. Enjoy that . . . The craft is everything. Don’t be afraid of not being the wealthiest person in the room. Be the smartest person in the room. Be the slickest person in the room. Be the most creative person in the room. Be the most entertaining person in the room. Just be in the room.”  
                                                                                 -Jill Scott-
  


This is a quote by Jill Scott in response to the music industry and how “most” musicians feel the need to pretend they have more than they do or act to be someone they are not. I am not in the music industry however I believe this is something I see all the time on social media.




 I am never the one to count someone’s coins nor do I believe that you must be a multi-millionaire to enjoy a few pair of Gucci shoes or a nice Lobster dinner from time to time. I do believe that with the rise of social media and with so much access to WHAT SOMEONE SHOWS you of their lives people tend to feel the need to size up a persons bank statements and credit worthiness based on an Instagram or Facebook life. This line of thinking to me is insane.  

While Jill’s quote was more about the “pretending” going on in the music industry, I do believe that a lot of people feel the need to “keep up” with friends and family on social media. Los Angeles is one of the wealthiest cities in the country. I see people that inspire me everyday. If I dared to keep up the joneses I’d honestly lose sight of who I am, what I like, and what motivates me.

 I will admit… I love looking at the exotic vacations and the expensive limited edition purchases of my friends and family. I feel I am in good company when I see someone set a goal and accomplish that goal whatever it may be. That fact is one of the reasons why I love the way Jill closed her quote by saying, “just be in the room.” There is no greater feeling than being in a room full of accomplished, driven individuals and feeling great about what you bring to the table. If there is something you want out of life, you have to make a decision to stop watching people do it and go out and get it for yourself! No one wants to pretend forever when they can honestly go out and attempt to really get it done.

The sooner we realize not everyone has the same value system and budgeting criteria the sooner we realize, we don’t have to fit into any one persons path or idea of success. We can all live beautiful lives, the choice is up to you on how you go about doing that.

Quote courtesy of Crunktasical

No comments:

Post a Comment